Sunday, March 1, 2009

THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS FAILURE, ONLY FEEDBACK!



The easy thing for me to do here would be to write how great the swim was, how great I felt, how strong I swam, that it was awesome.

But in reality it sucked! I hated it and never want to do it again! The morning was full of anticipation about what it would be like, planning my strategy (not going out like a bull at a gate but rather nice and easy to begin with). My age group was called and I headed to the jetty. When allowed to enter the water, I dived straight in knowing that if I hesitated would make it worse. I didn't feel the temperature of the water, I didn't think about sharks, I just adjusted my goggles whilst treading water and could feel the surge of adrenelin. The gun went off, I started swimming getting kicked, punched, bumped into and found that I was hardly moving. With each breathe I had to lift my head high out of the water the waves were so choppy. I started swimming with my head above the water but even that seemed impossible. I told myself I could do it. I tried my hardest but it wasn't good enough on the day. The last breathe I took I swallowed a gut full of really salty water which made me spew in Sydney Harbour. I decided then and there "fuck this I'm not gonna make it". I stopped, treaded water and put my hand up to be rescued. Got picked up by a board guy and loaded into a boat and headed back to the jetty.

Initially, I was disappointed in myself and for a brief moment felt I had failed. But in the scheme of things I am a winner. I had a go. I'm a decent swimmer (in the pool) but realised that for an open water swim I need to train in open water. Previously, this kind of behaviour would have sent me to the nearest Seven Eleven for lollies and chocolate and whatever other shit I could get my hands on but not today. After a post-swim meal, pepsi and chat with Fern, Katie and I headed to the gym where I had a really great session. Do I feel regret now - nah! The important thing here is that I tried my hardest and that is only what we can all do, put in down to experience and move on. Next!!!!