Tuesday, March 3, 2009

COMBINING FATS & CARBS IN THE SAME MEAL


Scale weight = same at 63.6 kg (noice, different, unusual!)

Training = 4.20 am 25 min walk, 5.40 am Workout E (loving my new training program)

Feeling = Much better today although still hacking. Must be a bug cause daughter has been sick too and now hubby is still in bed feeling like his head is going to explode!
This post is not designed to create controversy but rather a journal entry for myself. I usually have at least one meal a day of oats and protein powder and sometimes will add honey, especially post workout. On a number of occasions I have noticed that afterwards I enter light-headedness and fatigue. Knowing that this was probably due to an insulin spike I grinned and beared it and held out for the next meal. Interestingly enough, Katie and I had a discussion about this on the weekend and she suggested adding peanut butter instead of the honey which may slow down the digestion of the carbs and prevent such a spike in blood glucose levels. Me being quite open to new tastes and textures and such a huge lover of peanut butter gave it a go resulting in a positive outcome. Since then I’ve been adding peanut butter to my oats each time and have noticed a huge difference in my body’s response. I know there is varying opinions on mixing fats and carbs, especially in the same meal, but as long as the fat is disappearing I’m not concerned at all. Leigh Peele's site has an interesting article written by Alan Aragon titled Carbs and Fat: Friends After All? in which this particular paragraph rang true for me: The bottom line is that as long as you’re aware of your macronutrient targets for the day, go ahead and sludge that peanut butter into your oatmeal if your little heart desires it. Leave the neurotic eating behaviours for those with a lot of faith in fairy tales.