Monday, October 5, 2009

THE IMPACT IS FAR GREATER!!

During a relaxing afternoon reading on the lounge yesterday, Sofie (9) said "Mummy, I'm hungry". I told her to place her hands on her tummy, close her eyes, and feel what she really wanted to eat. Anything at all we had in the house. What would satisfy her the most? "Rice" was her answer. I then proceeded to maturely tell her that this is what mummy does now. I explained that I was no longer following a silly diet*, weighing my food, and doing anything that didn't allow me to eat what the rest of the family was eating or have some lollies when going to the movies. I explained that eating for reasons other than hunger eg boredom, loneliness, happiness, sadness, anger was called emotional eating. I felt it was time to set the scene for her. She's been no doubt watching and listening to me in the past. The discussion ended with her showing me she has a freckle between her fingers. I told her she was unique and it was there because she is beautiful. You should have seen the smile on her face.

I'm careful with my choice of words these days. In the "olden days" I would have joked "you're a freak" but I know first hand how jokes can grow up with you, always and still to this day being called "Shelley with the big fat belly" by a well-meaning friend of the family.

The moral of the story is that "children hear/see/feel far more than we give them credit for. They are never too young to learn nurturing or destructive behaviour".

*Diet - "No matter how it is justified, a diet is ... any dietary restriction with the intention of manipulating body weight or shape". Quote by Dr Christopher Fairburn. UK, world recognised authority on overeating and obesity.