Thursday, December 3, 2009

MORNING DISCIPLINE!!


Each night before I lay my head down to sleep I set my alarm although it is rarely needed. My body wakes of it's own accord by it's rhythmical body clock. After some basic hygiene I start my day with vital greens and a cup of green tea. A short while later I head out the door. I have not planned what I will do or where I will go. I allow my feet to guide me and take me in the direction that is my path today. In sequence my legs move; left, right, left, right. Sometimes the pace is a mere brisk walk and at other times they desire a bit more and I run. I have headphones in my ears with the latest tunes but often I turn them off and listen to my breath. I imagine with each breath in the white healing mist entering my lungs and repairing any damage I may have done through my years of neglect from smoking. I visualise my heart growing stronger with each beat. I hear the birds chirping. The rainbird informing me rain is approaching. Cicadas speaking their language to each other. I see trees gently swaying in the breeze and I smell the beautiful scent emitted from the frangipani's as I pass by. I notice things I dare not have noticed before for fear that this distraction may inhibit my efforts to lose weight and I dare not shift my focus to nature and all of the wonderful surroundings. But that was then and this is now. I am constantly amazed at the beauty and uniqueness of all things - great and small. The difference in species, the change in weather from day to day, the miraculousness of our world. I have come to realise from those moments, calories burned, heart rate and VO2 max mean absolutely nothing. Happiness and love of life are all that matter. In the end, they’re all that will ever matter.