Saturday, June 7, 2008

Why Don't We Listen?

I struggled most of the day yesterday with my mind and being hungry finally reaching breaking point last night and let's just say it involved icecream, peanut butter, honey and maltesers.

Upon examination of my "episode" I realised I should have listened to my body more and what it was trying to tell me. I'm one to rarely suffer DOMS even though I work my very hardest at each and every weights training session however this week has had me in pain all over but especially in the quads and hamstrings after Wednesday's leg training to the point that I could hardly walk yesterday, moaned in pain upon rolling over in bed during the night, and winced with every stop/start movement. I was getting really tired too and had to have a nanna nap for an hour and a half yesterday afternoon. Was I carb depleted? Don't think so - veins still bulging. I was trying to stick with my 1850 cals which is way below what I maintain on. In hindsight what I should have done was increase my cals with clean food, especially protein, in order to help my muscles recover and repair which also would have deleted the hunger issue. Why didn't I think of this before? (kick)

Needless to say I got up this morning at 5.30 am in the drizzling rain and went for an absolutely awesome run for just over an hour. I really caned it. My legs were strong and powerful. I powered up hills and down the other side, using my arms, heel/toe, heel/toe, driving forward. Was I punishing myself? Perhaps! And I still have to go teach RPM at 8.30 am.

It's back to basics for me today!